Xilinx and Coreworks teamed on a range of new Dolby audio technology and other audio codec IP cores for compressing multichannel audio in Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs). The IP cores are available from Coreworks starting in October at a cost starting at $10,000, with additional licensing fees for the Dolby cores. Bundles are available that combine different IP cores.
Audio Codec IP Cores Highlights
- CODECs are optimized for Xilinx FPGA devices
- Integrating the codecs into a single FPGA eliminates the need for Digital Signal Processor (DSP) farms
- Lowers bill of material costs, power consumption and circuit board area
- IP cores fully support Dolby Digital, AAC+ and MPEG-1 Layer II
- Helps designers exploit the parallel processing capabilities of FPGAs for more performance
- FPGA-compliant codecs increase device density