Microsemi Announces SmartFusion2 SoC FPGA Starter Kit
Microsemi introduced the SmartFusion2 SoC FPGA Starter Kit. The tool offers engineers a prototyping platform for the Microsemi SmartFusion2 system-on-chip (SoC) field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). The kit supports interfaces like Ethernet, USB, SPI, I2C and UART. It includes a comprehensive breadboard to support unique design requirements.
The SmartFusion2 Starter Kit can be used with Microsemi’s Libero SoC v11.0 beta software, which includes a free Libero Gold license and comes preloaded with a uClinux demo. By using the included USB WiFi adapter, the kit has support for RaLink 5370 USB wireless radios, enabling uClinux to setup a wireless access point that serves DHCP WiFi connections.
Users can start a HTTPD server and then access the SmartFusion2 device via a smart phone web browser or other wireless device. Emcraft Systems’ Linux-based development environment is also supported. The SmartFusion2 device is available on an Emcraft Systems miniature (34mm x 59mm) mezzanine form factor system-on-module (M2S-SOM), which connects to the SOM-BSB-EXT baseboard. The kit is USB powered, includes FlashPro4 programming.
Microsemi SmartFusion2 Starter Kit Features
- SmartFusion2 SoC FPGA in the FG896 package (M2S050T-FG896ES)
- 10/100 Ethernet interface and RJ-45 connector
- USB OTG interface and mini-USB connector
- USB based Wi-Fi module
- 64MB LPDDR, 16MB SPI flash
- User push-button connected to GPIO on the SOM
- Two user-controlled LEDs connected to GPIO on the SOM
- Breadboard area available for GPIO or FPGA I/O connection
- Power good LED indicating presence of the +3.3 V SOM power
- Reset push button, reset-out LED
- Can provide necessary power supply voltages (+5 V, +3.3 V, +1.5 V for power-optimized SOM operation) from external sources through dedicated pads on the breadboard
More info: Microsemi SmartFusion2 SoC FPGAs
If you are familiar with RSS feeds, you can also sign up for our free blog feed. Our RSS feed is updated in real-time while our newsletter is updated daily.