Mentor Graphics launched the Precision Rad-Tolerant FPGA design solution for aerospace and high-reliability applications. Precision Rad-Tolerant is a synthesis-based radiation effects mitigation solution to reduce the risk of functionality problems including soft errors caused by single event upset (SEU) and single event transient (SET) disruptions. Initial support is available for SRAM, anti-fuse, and flash-based devices from Actel and Xilinx. The Precision Rad-Tolerant product is available now. The product was developed with NASA’s guidance.
Precision Rad-Tolerant Features
- Broad device support for radiation effects mitigation
- Multi-vendor, multi-mode Triple Modular Redundancy
- Fault Recovery and Fault-Tolerant FSM encoding
- DO-254 and design assurance features and flows
- Safeguards against single-eventeffects (SEEs)
- Device selection freedom beyond Rad-Hard / Rad-Tolerant silicon technologies
- Less time-consuming and errorprone than manual mitigation methods
- Superior quality-of-results and greater user control compared to other approaches
- Physical synthesis (pre-P&R)
- Low power synthesis
- Incremental flows
- Formally verifiable synthesis (assured synthesis)
- Requirements tracking support
- Precise-Encrypt – HDL Encryption
- Graphical resource management
The Precision Rad-Tolerant solution delivers all of the synthesis-based capabilities of Precision RTL Plus, including low power synthesis, integration with Mentor tools, and specialized features and flows for mil-aero and safety-critical applications. The Precision Rad-Tolerant product has several features that make it much easier for designers to incorporate a variety of radiation effects mitigation schemes, such as automated, multi-vendor, multi-mode Triple Modular Redundancy (TMR). The tool builds on and enhances proven mitigation methods such as redundancy of sequential and combinational logic. Because TMR insertion is performed at the synthesis level, designers are no longer limited to using fully radiation-tolerant devices and can achieve higher-quality results versus alternative mitigation approaches.
A unique feature of the Precision Rad-Tolerant product is synthesis-based insertion of fault-tolerant finite state machines (FSM). The resulting FSM can absorb radiation-induced single event upsets (SEUs), mitigating their effect rather than switching the state machine into an unknown or unpredictable state. This form of safeguard meets the needs of a wide range of high-reliability applications.
More info: Mentor Graphics Precision Rad-Tolerant