Xilinx introduced their Gigabit class 1024QAM point-to-point (PtP) microwave modem IP for backhaul applications. The 1024QAM modem intellectual property enables OEMs to develop generation ahead backhaul platforms with exceptional bandwidth capacity, low latency and low power. The 1024QAM microwave modem IP core is available now for select customers. General availability is expected by May 2013.
The 1024QAM modem IP solution is based on Xilinx’s All Programmable 7 series devices, which are built on the state-of-the-art 28nm High Performance, Low-Power (HPL) process technology to deliver breakout performance, capacity and system integration while optimizing price, performance and power consumption. The IP is ideal for adding flexible and programmable capabilities in cost-sensitive and performance-driven microwave backhaul platforms.
The 1024QAM point-to-point modem IP includes all the key features and capabilities that OEMs require to accelerate development of wireless solutions that consume as much as 30% less power and which have potential total bill-of-materials (BOM) reduction of up to 30% (compared to ASSP-based products). The PtP modem supports legacy interfaces such as multiple E1/T1 and SDH as well as Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. The data rates are scalable to 1 Gbps in a single polarization and 2 Gbps in dual polarized mode.
The 1024QAM PtP microwave modem IP features support for modulation from QPSK up to 1024QAM, channel spacing from 3.5 -112 MHz, Adaptive Modulation, Adaptive Digital Pre-distortion, Forward Error Correction, I/Q imbalance correction, automatic frequency recovery, hybrid Decision Directed Equalizer, integrated payload and configuration interfaces.
Xilinx 1024QAM Point-to-Point Modem IP Features
- Interface: parallel I/Q baseband, complex IF or real IF
- Modulation: QPSK to 1024QAM
- Symbol rate: software configurable 2-100 Msym/s with sub-MHz precision
- FCC and ETSI channels are available and tested for spectral mask compliance
- Payload interfaces: Gigabit Ethernet, STM-1, n x E1/T1
- Bandwidth: software configurable 3.5 to 112MHz
- Automatic correction of Tx and Rx IQ impairments in DSP
- Rx delay equalizer
- Adaptive Modulation with software defined profile
- Closed loop adaptive Digital Pre-Distortion
- Reed-Solomon FEC with configurable coderate
- Convolutional interleaver with configurable depth
- Hybrid Decision Directed Equalizer
- DPLL module for synchronizing payload clock over link for SyncE and SDH/TDM
- Analogue AGC control
- ATPC closed loop support in hardware