CAST introduced the H.264 encoder core. The CAST H264-E Encoder Core is ideal for applications that require the transmission of the highest quality video over low bit-rate channels — including remote medical diagnostics, military targeting, satellite reconnaissance, and advanced surveillance systems. It supports screen sizes from handheld (CIF, 352 x 240 pixels) to full HD (1080p30, 1920 x 1080 at 30 frames per second). The H264-E core is available now in RTL source code for ASICs or optimized netlists for programmable devices.
The CAST H264-E requires fewer resources (such as processing time, chip area, and power consumption) than competing cores that support higher-level profiles. The core readily fits and performs well in FPGA devices as well as ASICs — including Altera’s Cyclone III devices and the rest of the company’s FPGA and HardCopy ASIC families, and the Xilinx Virtex-4 and Virtex-5 device families.
CAST H264-E Encoder Core Features
- Fully compliant to the ISO/IEC 14496-10/ITU-T H.264 baseline specification (MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding)
- Profile level 4.1
- Compression efficiency from QCIF up to HD resolutions
- Advanced Inter-Prediction: quarter pel accuracy, variable block size, block skipping, motion vector up to —16.75/+15.75 integer pels in both dimensions (default configuration)
- Advanced intra prediction modes: all intra 16×16 luma modes, all intra 8×8 chroma modes, 7 out of 9 intra 4×4 luma modes
- Multiple slices for enhanced error resilience
- Advanced mode selection for superior compression and quality
- CAVLC Encoding
- NAL Formatting
- Variable Bit Rate Output
- Optional de-Blocking Filter
- Optional Rate Control
- Bit Accurate Model
- Stand-alone operation
- Low latency
- Flexible external memory interface
- Independent of external memory type
More information: CAST, Inc.